Dissertation Project: Postmortem

With this being the last post I’m making to do with my Dissertation I want to go over the good bad and ugly of my project/projects overall. Like a self-evaluation of the project.

What went well: Things I felt gave me a plus or I was happy about.

  1. The Design’s idea and the structure work I put behind it worked well.
  2. Research Materials, the ones I found for both Design and Code were very helpful and kept me on track.
  3. The blog was kept updated often, there were gaps in the schedule but overall it looks nice.
  4. Designs for the Character and UI fit perfectly with the retro theme I was going for.
  5. Animations worked well, it was my first time using or working with animation in Unity and I think it worked well, provided the game a little added love and polish.

What went poorly: Things that needs improvement or didn’t work.

1. Previous submissions failed to make the marking grade, this means I had wasted a         lot of previous ideas and time which made the final project very limited to what I               could have done in the time I had left.
2. I was running out of ideas and needed a new one fast.
3. Because of my new idea, I knew it was going to be a struggle from the get-go due to       my lack of knowledge on using Unity and coding in C#, I had set myself a high learning     curve, loads to do and not enough time.
4. Needed more polish towards the end of the project, the UI and art were going well         but at the end, if more time was given it would have looked a lot smoother.
5. Needed more code, the game didn’t have a Damage/HP/Score system because I could     not get it working. Overall the project feels like a failure due to big parts of the                     experience for the demo not being in there or not working correctly.

How the end of the Dissertation Project made me feel:

Honestly, I’m a mixed bag on this one because there were moments where it went well and moments where it did not. Overall, I am still disappointed in the final outcome. It became rushed, sloppy and unfinished, not something I’m really proud of.

However, I am proud of one thing and that’s finally having an idea that passes and that I didn’t give it up. I knew my learning difficulties for the project were going to get me down and honestly I felt liking giving up the entire course more than one time due to stress and having to resubmit new ideas. But I’m here, I’m done with it and I guess it’s not all bad.

Skills I have Learned/improved on:
C# – Even though I was taking Chris’s programming Lectures this year on top of my 3rd-year studies, when I first started I knew NOTHING about code. I don’t know everything now but I have learned a ton of things and can write some basic code together, I still make mistakes here and there but it’s a new skill that with time I can improve on even more.
Unity – We used it before but I never used it for Animation, how to make screens move etc. I previously only used Unity for very bad platformer games, I had fun learning how to make a Rhythm game and making the code for the beats work to a way I could edit it through Unity using an array list.
Design – More towards Pixel art but yes, I had to strength my skill for this as well to make sure the attention to detail with UI choices were good.

Final Words:

Overall, I know the Demo and a project as a whole was a failure. I can’t be proud of it and for what it shows I’ve done for the 2-3 months I had it for, but it has made me better with Code and Unity so not all was for nothing.

Thank you for following the development, the ups and downs of my Dissertation.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s