So we finally managed to finish the printing process, only problem is we had to use the mini printer instead of the big proper printer.
It’s a very small model indeed, especially when compared to the likes of my Wallet and the Original Model we studied off. We might have to do a bigger reprint of the model to try and make it the original size if we have the time, but I like that the detail we had and put into the model has come out well even if it’s a tiny version.
This week, me and George have been doing more preparations for the Model. We are just trying to close gaps on the scan and I have finish recreating the front of the gun.
The knife, barrel and part of the frame came out rather roughly so we are recreating it in 3DS Max. If the model doesn’t come out right after fixing it then we might have to switch models but we are both determined to see this project through as far as we can first and then if things do turn out too bad then we can consider changing.
I had fun doing this, recreating the groves and indentations that the original model has provides me with a small boost of pride and determination to make sure it’s as close to the original as possible. Hopefully everything turns out alright and our hard work is appreciated, either way this has been a fun project so far.
Yesterday me and my partner George got together and started to edit the scans we did on Monday so we can be one step closer to printing it out in 3D!
Unfortunately due to the scans, the front of the gun was very rough and half of it didn’t scan correctly after several attempts so we had to delete it. After discussion of if we should continue in some way on this model or scrap it and try a new one, I offered to model the front of the gun as long as the rest could be tried up well. In theory the idea is to have the front recreated as best as I can while George does his best to tied up and fill up any holes and smooth out bits for the scanned object.
So after spending a few hours on the model I have managed to recreated the front part we have lost, I might need to add part of the front to the model to make a base so it can connect easily to the main part of the gun. But I’m very proud of how it’s come out so far! We are certainly going above and beyond the call of duty for this printing, but I’m happy to do so and that our efforts will be greatly appreciated. Also gives me another piece to showcase on my Portfolio, so over all it’s going well. Pictures below show progress and a render of the Barrel/Knife.
We will have to work out on how to split up the model into parts so we can make it life size hopefully, I will most likely print off a tiny version on the gun as well for fun, Until then Enjoy!
Today me and George took our “Pop My Mind” model, and we scanned it up for editing in 3DS Max.
It took a few attempts of trying it on a chair, the table and floor so the scanner could pick it up easier. The first couple of times the scans would make multiple guns and merge them ,which would force us to try again.
In the end we managed to get it to work, well mostly. The front end of the gun where the knife is couldn’t be picked up properly because of it’s shiny reflected surface. I took some pictures of different parts of the gun, we have decided that it will be easier to model our own knife to the end of the gun in 3DS Max, we also might have to split up the gun into 4 parts so we can print it out a part at a time and put it all together. Although we will see how small of a print we can do for the whole model first.
Next post will be able editing and cleaning up the model on 3DS Max, until then Enjoy!
This week in 3D Printing, as we waited to hear back from the Artists of Pop My Mind, we had another crack at scanning and Printing an object in what we would hope would be an success.
SO we scanned the Egyptian head like last time as that seemed to scan rather well, after doing so we set it to print and this time we didn’t flood the printer with multiple models so it came out just fine.
I volunteered to clean up the model, as I had experience with small models from Figure crafting sets. Cleaning it up with what I had available was a little tricky, the support for the neck didn’t want give in very easily and I didn’t have any sandpaper to smooth down the edges where I had cut parts off it. Even so, It came out pretty nicely and I cleaned it up as best as I can. Hopefully soon we can scan the Models from the Pop My Mind people and get started on those, until then Enjoy!
Earlier today Me and the others in my MasterClass (George, Ryan, Junior, Aaron, Jay, Rob) and we went to the Printing rooms in the Atrium Building so we could try out scanning and print out a few things. This would all serve as practice for the POP MY MIND art models that we would have to scan and print in the future.
Tom, the guy who tests and looks after the machines have us a little run down of how the printers work, how to scan things correctly and how to tell when something that gets scanned went well and when it went poorly.
So we took turns turning out scanning objects on the chair so we can turn around the object without too much trouble and most of the times we didn’t scan it correctly until we put the Scanners mount up so we could spin the chair slowly and make it easier.
We later tried to print off some of the things we scanned and other personal models on the Cura program, which displays the 3D models and makes it so you can edit sizes and such. We then put the information onto the Scanners SD card and tried to make the models, but due to overloading the tray (Most likely as we all wanted to print a model at different simplistic levels and some being advanced). Hopefully Next week we can print something off and it won’t turn into a Plastic mess.
Until then, here is a slideshow of all the pictures I took while we were there. Enjoy!